YouTube is the second largest search engine on the web and the third most visited site (behind only Google and Facebook.) It’s time for a YouTube strategy.
2 Types of Video You Need on YouTube
Before you bust out your smart phone and start videoing, remind yourself what makes marketing content successful.
- Your video must provide value for your target audience
- It must be engaging
- It must contain a call-to-action
If you don’t incorporate the principles of successful content marketing in your promotional video, it will be nothing more than the social media equivalent of a TV commercial, nobody watches TV commercials. An engaging promotional video includes the following:
- A bond between the creator and the viewer. This is often accomplished by identifying a common enemy.
- Movement. Talking heads haven’t been engaging since 1974.
- Curiosity. There must be something unique or novel about your product or services to include in the promo.
- A memorable tagline. A memorable tagline strengthens the brand.
- Irresistible offer. Ultimately you want viewers to take action. Make the action irresistible.
If you’re looking for a good example, check out the promo for Four Hour Body. But be careful, you might end up buying the book right then and there.
How To or Explainer Videos
Creating how to videos accomplishes several important goals.
- It supports customers who want to know how your product works.
- It lets customers know you’re there to support them once they purchase your product.
- It shows your most enthusiastic customer (you) using the product.
People expect to find how to accomplish a task by conducting an Internet search. And they expect to find it on YouTube. The question you need to ask is will your target audience find your company? Some things to remember when creating how to content includes the following:
- Write a script. This helps you stay focused on the task. Viewers need focus.
- Keep it as short as possible.
- Avoid information overload.
- Finish with a strong call-to-action.